Re: Why people still want to encode precomposed letters

From: Asmus Freytag (asmusf@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Thu Nov 27 2008 - 17:46:21 CST

    On 11/27/2008 5:14 AM, Peter Zilahy Ingerman, PhD wrote:
    > Agreed. After all, in the days when my father hand-set type, 72 points
    > was 0.9958 inches ... and, thanks to computers, it's now 1.0000 inches
    > because it's more convenient. Pfui!
    That complaint is too silly to comment, really. The difference is less
    than 0.5%, and therefore well within the range of probable measurement
    and production errors in paper sizes or even variation in the actual
    size of the ink produced on different devices. On a 300dpi device, one
    pixel per inch is 0.3% - not something that matters at 72pt type size.

    A./