Re: Oxford proposes a leaner alphabet

From: Leo Broukhis (leob@mailcom.com)
Date: Fri Apr 03 2009 - 10:24:26 CST

    On Fri, Apr 3, 2009 at 4:55 AM, Adam Twardoch <list.adam@twardoch.com> wrote:

    > One interesting manifestation of this is that a high-quality
    > computer-sythesized voice file for English can take 150-180 MB while the
    > same quality Polish voice usually takes 30-40 MB because it is much more
    > "itemized".

    While we're on topic, here is another manifestation: a "bearable"
    quality text-to-speech system for Russian - "bearable" being that one
    needed a few minutes to get used to its sound - was used in the late
    80s - early 90s in the USSR by the blind on pre-PC home computers with
    minimal amount of RAM. The size of the executable is 9 (nine)
    kilobytes:

    Leo