Re: Which Character sets to support for kazakh cyrillic alphabet ?

From: Mark Leisher (mleisher@math.nmsu.edu)
Date: Tue Apr 21 2009 - 12:30:01 CDT

    Ankur Mathur wrote:
    > Hi All,
    >
    > I need to implement support for Kazakh cyrillic alphabet.
    > As per wikipedia ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kazakh_alphabet ), there
    > are two standard 8 bit character sets for this alphabet:
    >
    > * CT PK 920-91 for DOS (a modification of code page
    > <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Code_page> 866)
    > * CT PK 1048—2002 for Windows (a modification of code page 1251)
    >
    > Now I couldn't find any more detail online about these two character sets.
    > Please help me know, which all char sets should I support for this
    > alphabet. And if the above char sets are the standard ones, where can I
    > find their mapping tables (with unicode code points) ?

    The libiconv package (http://www.gnu.org/software/libiconv/) has mapping
    tables for two Kazakh encodings, PT192 and RK1048.

    If anyone has a copy of an ST RK 920-91 mapping table they can make
    available (in printed or electronic form), or any other Kazakh encoding
    other than PT192 and RK1048, I would like to include them in
    http://www.math.nmsu.edu/~mleisher/csets.

    --
    Mark Leisher