Re: Which Character sets to support for kazakh cyrillic alphabet ?

From: Ankur Mathur (mathur.ankur@gmail.com)
Date: Wed Apr 22 2009 - 02:12:18 CDT

    I needed this information for localization (in kazakh) of a mobile device
    (with internet connectivity). UTF encodings are already supported. I wanted
    character-sets that are specific to kazakh language, and popular enough to
    be supported.

    Looking out further, I found
    http://www.science.co.il/language/Character-Sets.asp which directly
    confirmed that iso-8859-5 and Windows-1251 cover the kazakh cyrillic
    alphabet.
    And so, I would be adding these character sets.

    Mark and Ed,
    Thanks for the resources you shared.

    On Tue, Apr 21, 2009 at 11:00 PM, Mark Leisher <mleisher@math.nmsu.edu>wrote:

    > The libiconv package (http://www.gnu.org/software/libiconv/) has mapping
    > tables for two Kazakh encodings, PT192 and RK1048.
    >
    > If anyone has a copy of an ST RK 920-91 mapping table they can make
    > available (in printed or electronic form), or any other Kazakh encoding
    > other than PT192 and RK1048, I would like to include them in
    > http://www.math.nmsu.edu/~mleisher/csets>
    > .
    > --
    > Mark Leisher

    Mark,
    Your collection has got two sets for cyrillic kazakh: RK1048 and
    PTCP154(Cyrillic-Asian).
    Is PT192 (of libiconv) equivalent to PTCP154 ?

    I think I should add support for these two as well.