Re: Fwd: Re: Samogitian E with dot above and macron

From: Otto Stolz (Otto.Stolz@uni-konstanz.de)
Date: Wed Oct 27 2010 - 09:04:26 CDT

    Hello,

    by way of example, I had written:
    > Examples (from the keyboard driver I am currently using):
    > key “E” generates single character “e”;
    > key combination “⇧”+“E” generates single character “E”;
    > key “Ü” generates single character “ü”, but could as well generate the
    > canonically equvalent sequence “ü” (U+75, U+308);
    > key combination “AltGr”-“E” generates single character “€”
    > key sequence “^” + “a” generates single character “â”, but could as
    > well generate canonically equivalent “â” (U+61, U+302 )
    > key combination and sequence “AltGr”-“´” + “C” generates single
    > character “č”, but could as well … (you get the idea)

    On Tue, 26 Oct 2010 11:10:16 +0200, Győző Dobner has asked:
    > Do you use the default keyboard driver of your operating system or
    > some third-party keyboard driver?

    The latter, viz. “trans012” by Philipp Reichmuth. That keyboard driver
    used to be available from two WWW sites (at least), but is no more so.
    Meanwhile, there is the “Europatastatur” <http://www.europatastatur.de/>
    by Karl Pentzlin to suit the same purpose.

    > If you do use the default keyboard driver and it is this flexible,
    > then can you tell us what operating system you use

    I am still using Windows XP SP 3.

    Windows comes with a huge bag full of various keyboard drivers.
    If no one of these happens to suit your needs, you can use third-party
    software to define your own keyboard driver; however, I do know
    next to nothing about this sort of software. At least, from the
    examples given, it is evident that Windows’ keyboard interface,
    and the keybord-driver generating software, are flexible enough.
    Some of the available software is listed under
    <http://www.unicode.org/resources/keyboards.html>.

    Pentzlin’s driver can generate almost any conceivable character (or
    character sequence, respectively), if only it is used in a Latin-based
    writing system. However, Pantzlin’s driver is mnemotechnically based
    on the German standard keyboard layout; hence, if you use any layout
    diferent from our QWERTZU layout, it will prove difficult to memorize
    the various key assignments.

    > Your advice may be somewhat misleading if Arns uses something else.

    As Arns had mentioned that he is pondering over his own, special
    keyboard layout, I assume that he is well aware of the available
    keybord-driver generating software.

    My point was just that the various keystrokes are not necessarilly
    mapped to single Unicode characters, and that keystroke sequences
    are not necessarily mapped to character sequences. I hope well,
    that Arns can exploit this freedom of the mapping to find an
    ergonomically, and linguistically, pleasing keyboard layout for
    the purpose at hand.

    Best wishes,
       Otto Stolz