Re: Re: Fwd: Re: Samogitian E with dot above and macron

From: Győző Dobner (solfegeing@gmail.com)
Date: Wed Oct 27 2010 - 05:48:12 CDT

    On Tue, 26 Oct 2010 11:10:16 +0200
    Otto Stolz <Otto.Stolz@uni-konstanz.de> wrote:

    > Note that the keyboard layout does _not_ depend on the availability
    > of composed letters in the target encoding (Unicode, in your case).
    >
    > Rather, a keyboard driver can generate multiple Unicode characters
    > for a single keystroke, as well as a single or even multiple
    > characters for a sequence, or combination of keystrokes. Examples
    > (from the keyboard driver I am currently using):
    > key “E” generates single character “e”;
    > key combination “⇧”+“E” generates single character “E”;
    > key “Ü” generates single character “ü”, but could as well generate the
    > canonically equvalent sequence “ü” (U+75, U+308);
    > key combination “AltGr”-“E” generates single character “€”
    > key sequence “^” + “a” generates single character “â”, but could as
    > well generate canonically equivalent “â” (U+61, U+302 )
    > key combination and sequence “AltGr”-“´” + “C” generates single
    > character “č”, but could as well … (you get the idea)

    Do you use the default keyboard driver of your operating system or
    some third-party keyboard driver? If you do use the default keyboard
    driver and it is this flexible, then can you tell us what operating system
    you use (or else the name of the third-party product)? Your advice may
    be somewhat misleading if Arns uses something else.

    I use Linux, and the last time I looked, xkb (the default keyboard driver
    of X11, which is the default graphical interface used in most Linuxes) did
    not seem to support generating several characters/code points for a single
    keystroke (to my greatest disappointment).

    Best Regards,

    Gy. Dobner