ß: old news in unicode, new news in German domain names

From: JP Blankert (thuis & PC based) (jpblankert@zonnet.nl)
Date: Sat Oct 30 2010 - 16:32:50 CDT

    Yip, sorry but IDN fast track started Nov. 16, 2009...and since then I
    am spending allmost fulltime on it. So not expert since 2003 helas (in
    domain names yes, not IDN).....but I dare to say yes in 2010. You are
    the highest level group re. IDN/non-Latin characters I met since, nobody
    could follow me anymore outside unicode.org, so now I am glad I found you.

    I know reading signs, like ü have been introduced far before Nov. 16, 2009.

    And IDN involves more than characters, it is also: what are keywords,
    what ranks high, what is commercially exploitable...and: extensions -
    there are over 1300 extensions in the world, which ones will come, go,
    etc..I run a series of web based businesses myself, so I learn more than
    'only registering names' and trying to sell them 'empty', which I find a
    less friendly sport. And by not running web based businesses yourself
    you never learn what extensions do well (the answer is of course never
    written in a book , but amongst TLD we agree what does well and what
    does not well).

    Re. our ß: I do know that it will be allowed in domainnames between now
    and a few months. So for unicoders ß may be old news, for domain names
    it is news now. Punycode was thought to be good enough for domain names
    I think May 2009 - and November 2009 IDN fast track was started. There
    are no books on punycode (unlike unicode) - it is newer. Not that it is
    better, it is just a common latin denominator of domain names across all
    languages.

    Working out punycode? *zca *is for ß. But of course in a word it may be
    slightly different. I sense a tone of disbelief in Stephane's voice, I
    wish she/you would trust me more, before I have to prove things with
    past domainname achievements, Mensa membership and the like. Trust me I
    will catch up on unicode and trust me I am an excellent IDN man. Check
    with TLD experts....visits of Icann congress etc.

    Philippe