Re: Properties

From: Andrew West (andrewcwest@gmail.com)
Date: Wed May 18 2011 - 03:52:09 CDT

    On 18 May 2011 02:14, fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net> wrote:
    > On 05/17/2011 03:58 PM, Andrew West wrote:
    >>
    >> The one thing that seems to be oddly missing from the table is
    >> information on the page progression for each script.  Surely there
    >> should be a column noting that, for example, Han script has
    >> right-to-left page progression whereas Mongolian and Phags-pa have
    >> left-to-right page progression.  Without this additional information,
    >> anyone trying to make use of this appendix would still not know how to
    >> correctly layout text for each script.
    >
    > If you're looking for information that's missing from the appendix,
    > you should probably look outside the appendix... :)
    >  http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-writing-modes/#page-direction

    Whilst it is true that elsewhere in the document (not the section you
    pointed to above) it is noted in passing that "For Chinese and
    Japanese lines are ordered either right to left or top to bottom,
    while for Mongolian and Manchu lines are ordered left to right", I
    cannot find anywhere that explicitly specifies the page progression of
    each script in the same way that you attempt to specify the
    "bi-orientational transformation" of each script. Assuming that the
    purpose of the bi-orientational appendix is to enable people or
    software to correctly layout bi-orientational text then, in my
    opinion, the information provided is insufficient. I know how
    Phags-pa should be laid out, but it is not specified in the document
    whether it has ltr or rtl page progression, so there is not enough
    information for someone who does not know the script to correctly lay
    out Phags-pa text. Rather than relying on vague notes mentioning page
    progression of a few example scripts, it would be better to provide
    page progression for each script in the same table as the bi-or
    transformation is specified.

    Andrew