Original Aim of Unicode

From: Richard Wordingham (richard.wordingham@ntlworld.com)
Date: Sun May 29 2011 - 20:36:12 CDT

    On Mon, 30 May 2011 01:35:50 +0100
    Michael Everson <everson@evertype.com> wrote:

    > Richard Wordingham wrote:
    > > - there was a time when Unicode was not intended to ultimately
    > > encode every script.

    > This is not true. The Universal Character Set is intended to be
    > universal.

    I said 'Unicode', not the 'Universal Character Set'. As evidence, see
    Section 2.1 of 'Unicode 88', available at
    http://www.unicode.org/history/unicode88.pdf -

    "_Distinction of 'modern-use' characters:_ Unicode gives higher
    priority to ensuring utility for the future that to preserving past
    antiquities. Unicode aims in the first instance at the characters
    published in modern text (e.g. in the union of all newspapers and
    magazines printed in the world in 1988), whose number is undoubtedly
    far below 2^14 = 16,384. Beyond these modern-use characters, all
    others may be defined to be obsolete or rare these are better
    candidates for private-use registration than for congesting the public
    list of generally-useful Unicodes."

    This, of course, is now merely history.

    Richard.