Re: Character Identity and Font Selection

From: vanisaac@boil.afraid.org
Date: Thu Jun 09 2011 - 06:25:55 CDT

    From: Asmus Freytag (asmusf@ix.netcom.com)
    > On 6/8/2011 9:28 PM, Michael Everson wrote:
    > > On 9 Jun 2011, at 06:21, vanisaac@boil.afraid.org wrote:
    > >
    > >> Can anyone remind me why Variation sequences aren't the appropriate response to the IPA problem?
    > > That's just pseudo-encoding.
    > >
    > No, it's not. It depends on how you define the "IPA-problem".

    I define it as the fact that the normal range of glyphs for Latin letter small
    A is inappropriately broad for representing text in IPA.

    [snip]

    > As such, the idea to complement the existing IPA encoding with such
    > variation sequences definitely has merit.

    I know that Karl Pentzlin did some work on that, and supposedly was preparing
    it for the August UTC, but I never heard it discussed, and I've seen nothing
    about it since. Was that accepted? Did it get rejected for all of the crazy
    Cyrillic italics and English Phonotypic Alphabet additions? If this is already
    in the bag, then this entire conversation is moot, and we just need to get on
    board. If not, then I think we need to go back and make a targeted proposal
    which addresses the limitations of IPA encoding exclusively. This is obviously
    a concern that seems to be both valid and easily solvable.

    -Van