Re: Character Identity and Font Selection

From: ejp10 (ejp10@psu.edu)
Date: Thu Jun 09 2011 - 08:01:41 CDT

    I'm glad there is a discussion of the IPA and other phonetic transcription systems. The key problem from my point of view is that there is no good standard for distinguishing IPA text from non-IPA text, especially in terms of pronunciation engines.

    FWIW - Maybe the best way to treat transcription is as a separate orthographic convention used for any language. Treating IPA and other transcription systems as a separate script from Latin would make for a lot of headaches in text conversion.

    On the other hand, there does need to be a way to signal to agents (including screen readers as well as browsers) that the writing convention has changed. If you are using an English based screen reader, then there does need to be a way to signal the switch so that vowels (and the exotic consonant symbols) are pronounced correctly in IPA.

    Ironically, screen reader switching has been signaled by means of a language code, but a language code with an orthographic subtag could work just as well.

    Just thinking aloud as a phonologist.

    Cheers

    Elizabeth
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=