Fw: Re: On WG2 Meeting 58

From: <vanisaac_at_boil.afraid.org>
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2011 15:42:33 -0700

From: Benjamin M Scarborough <benjamin.scarborough_at_utdallas.edu>

> I guess my problem was that this was the first WG2 meeting I had seen where
> so many proposals were deferred. But when I wrote that initial e-mail, I
> didn't even know they had been deferred, and I assumed (incorrectly) that
> they had been rejected for various reasons.
>
> Now that you mention it, it does seem like there were a lot more proposals
> than normal. But with the next meeting not until February, won't there be
> even more to deal with then? (I seem to recall a few proposals that just kept
> getting deferred for years until they were abandoned, but I can't for the
> life of me remember which.)
>
> —Ben

My understanding, and limited experience, is that unless a proposal is critical
(e.g. Rupee sign), WG2 will wait to act on a proposal until its second time, to
give member bodies time to investigate. Given that so much of what they end up
doing is technical and administrative, there is only so much time they can
devote to discussing all the character and script proposals in-meeting, so it
kind of makes sense - let a proposal get aired on its own, then let the member
bodies do their homework and hammer out any concerns with the proposal author
so the next meeting is smooth. Of course, my proposal got accepted at this WG2,
so I may be a bit biased in lauding that process.

-Van Anderson