Re: Character Identity and Font Selection

From: Stephan Stiller <sstiller_at_stanford.edu>
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2011 18:54:11 -0700

I agree: in my experience, most linguists casually use IPA in a phonemic
manner, exactly in the way Philippe Verdy describes. Italian phonetician
Luciano Canepari argues that the IPA is used phonemically (not
phonetically) by most linguists. Some people emphasize a distinction
between "broad" (essentially phonemic) and "narrow" (more phonetic)
transcriptions, but most transcriptions are broad. (Interestingly,
Canepari invented his canIPA as a derivative of IPA more suitable for
very narrow transcriptions than even IPA with all its diacritics.)

The thing is that, fwiw, often cultural conventions trump accuracy in
picking symbols for such broad transcriptions. For example, [ə] is used
for the default reduced vowel in many language. (On that note, Korean
linguists tend to transcribe ㅓ [ɔ] as [ə] for really no good reason at
all, as it's not actually used a reduced vowel in Korean.) Linguists
have argued that standard British practice of transcribing the vowel in
"bet" as [e] is really outdated ([ɛ] is more appropriate). Linguist Ian
Maddieson has argued (personal communication) that [ʌ] is not the best
choice for the vowel in "but". American linguists tend to omit
diphthongization and vowel length [:] for vowels. Most linguists pick
symbols from the "most commonly used" IPA symbols (such as [r] instead
of the many r-derived symbols), with the rarer used ones appearing
mainly in JIPA.

Stephan