Re: Greek Characters Duplicated as Latin

From: Andreas Prilop <prilop4321_at_trashmail.net>
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2011 17:50:33 +0200 (CEST)

On Sun, 14 Aug 2011, Asmus Freytag wrote:

> The Ohm sign should have been encoded as another example of "squared"
> letters and abbreviations. It comes from Asian character sets,

I’d say the ohm sign comes from the MacRoman character set (0xBD).
 http://www.unicode.org/Public/MAPPINGS/VENDORS/MICSFT/MAC/ROMAN.TXT
Only recently was the mapping changed to capital omega.
 http://www.unicode.org/Public/MAPPINGS/VENDORS/APPLE/ROMAN.TXT

The English spelling is “ohm”, not “Ohm”.

Both symbols (micro sign, ohm sign) combine with Latin letters
to form multiples of units: micrometre, megaohm; even microohm.
Therefore I think one might well regard micro sign and ohm sign
as some kind of “pseudo-Latin” letters.