Re: Greek Characters Duplicated as Latin

From: Ken Whistler <kenw_at_sybase.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2011 15:28:50 -0700

On 8/15/2011 8:50 AM, Andreas Prilop wrote:
>> > The Ohm sign should have been encoded as another example of "squared"
>> > letters and abbreviations. It comes from Asian character sets,
> I’d say the ohm sign comes from the MacRoman character set (0xBD).
> http://www.unicode.org/Public/MAPPINGS/VENDORS/MICSFT/MAC/ROMAN.TXT

It came from *both* MacRoman 0xBD and Code Page 949 (Korean) 0xA7 0xD9.
Those two sources were "unified" for the initial Unicode repertoire, so
Unicode
didn't end up with *three* capital omegas: a Greek alphabetic one, an SI
ohm symbol
for non-Asian contexts and a "squared" SI ohm symbol for Asian contexts.

In fact, it also came from IBM SM180000 Ohm Sign, which was distinguished
from IBM GO320000 Omega Capital. (And sat right next to IBM SM170000
Micro Symbol in the IBM Corporate Specification, if anybody is interested in
the further history of these two characters.)

--Ken