Re: RTL PUA?

From: <vanisaac_at_boil.afraid.org>
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2011 07:41:18 -0700

From: Michael Everson <everson_at_evertype.com>

> On 19 Aug 2011, at 14:29, Petr Tomasek wrote:
>
> > I would like to ask why there are no PUA parts which would be reserved for RTL scripts (i.e. would have the directionality set to "strong RTL").
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > P.T.
>
> This is a very good question.

And maybe this is a slightly more involved conversation, but I've always
wondered why there weren't private use Variation Selectors. I'm thinking of all
those old Byzantine Greek fonts that have a dozen different omicron+sigma
ligatures, and each one has to be allocated to a random PUA code point where it
loses its semantics, rather than Omicron + ZWJ + Sigma + PVS-X, where you can
still search for Omicron+Sigma and find the thing. Just a thought.

-Van