Re: RTL PUA?

From: Mark E. Shoulson <mark_at_kli.org>
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2011 10:44:07 -0400

On 08/19/2011 10:24 AM, Shriramana Sharma wrote:
> I also wonder what the following below
> http://unicode.org/reports/tr9/#Bidirectional_Character_Types means:
>
> Private-use characters can be assigned different values by a
> conformant implementation.

Best I can guess is "You can write your own program that does anything
you want with these characters and we won't mind if you say it's Unicode
compliant anyway." But that isn't really all that helpful, and doesn't
go very far in terms of providing support for private use. After all, I
can write my own program that does anything I want with *any*
characters, and if it does the Right Things with the parts of Unicode
that my userbase cares about, there isn't much the Unicode Consortium
can do about it (there's still no funding for the enforcement arm of the
Unicode Consortium, consisting of a team of burly typesetters armed with
big heavy composing sticks...)

~mark