RE: Unicode 6.2 to Support the Turkish Lira Sign

From: Doug Ewell <doug_at_ewellic.org>
Date: Wed, 23 May 2012 10:56:52 -0700

Jukka K. Korpela <jkorpela at cs dot tut dot fi> wrote:

> It’s unrealistic to generally expect that fonts used in various
> applications will be enhanced anytime soon.

Not long ago, I was peripherally involved with a Web project where one
of the requirements, for proactive localization purposes, was that the
app must "support" the Basic Latin, Latin-1 Supplement, Latin
Extended-A, and Latin Extended-B blocks. "Support" meant they had to be
displayed correctly on the tester's XP-based browser. I had to explain
to the QA group that some of the Latin-B characters were added to the
standard only six years ago, and some of them see extremely little use
in the real world, and it's unrealistic to expect any arbitrary font on
an XP system (or even later) to cover them all.

--
Doug Ewell | Thornton, Colorado, USA
http://www.ewellic.org | @DougEwell ­