Re: Unicode 6.2 to Support the Turkish Lira Sign

From: Jukka K. Korpela <jkorpela_at_cs.tut.fi>
Date: Wed, 23 May 2012 21:01:53 +0300

2012-05-23 20:40, Doug Ewell wrote:

> The U.S. dollar, British pound, Japanese yen, etc. did not achieve
> stability and widespread acceptance because they had special symbols.
> Instead, the special symbols are widely recognized because they are
> associated with currencies known to be stable and widely accepted.

Quite right, though perhaps we should emphasize the “widely acceptedâ€
part more than stability.

It is a common fallacy these days to think that you can create brands
simply by creating symbols for them. But this symbolistic fallacy is
just one part of human behavior that creates new characters.

> Note also that the German mark was pretty much always just "DM"

Well, looking at my stamp collection, I can see old German stamps with
symbols that look like script-style “m†(with the height of digits) and
script-style “Mâ€.

Yucca