Re: Unicode 6.2 to Support the Turkish Lira Sign

From: Asmus Freytag <asmusf_at_ix.netcom.com>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2012 01:43:47 -0700

On 5/27/2012 5:52 PM, Michael Everson wrote:
> Get over it. Please just get over it. It doesn't matter. It's a blort.

Time to agree with Michael.

"Get over it," is good advice here.

Sovereign countries are free to decree currency symbols, whatever their
motivation or the putative artistic or typographic merits of the symbol
in question. Not for Unicode to judge.

The simple fact is, the usage scenario for currency symbols is such that
immediate availability as character code is required by a whole country
(and its partners in commerce).

Kvetching doesn't make a difference, it just reflects badly - especially
if it comes from anyone whose country happens to have its currency
"covered".

A./