Re: [OT] Re: Exact positioning of Indian Rupee symbol according to Unicode Technical Committee

From: Julian Bradfield <jcb+unicode_at_inf.ed.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2012 07:22:02 +0100

On 2012-05-28, Doug Ewell <doug_at_ewellic.org> wrote:
> Again, just speaking about one platform (Windows) that seems to be in
> somewhat common use, the problem is that the underlying architecture
> doesn't support multiple dead keys on a single base character, nor does
> it support a fifth, sixth, etc. shift state (unless one chooses to be
> reckless and use Ctrl). This is unlikely to change in the next two to
> three years. It isn't a matter of providing a layout—otherwise, anyone
> with MSKLC and a supported Windows version could create one.
..
> Microsoft can never support ISO/IEC 9995-3:2010 unless they change their
> keyboard handling architecture, as above.

Why is this a problem? The X keyboard handling has undergone a couple
of significant extensions of architecture over the years, and that
involved getting lots of people to agree. Microsoft can just do it.
And I don't see what the problem is, anyway: from a quick look at the
MS keyboard model, one could (as one does with X) process keystrokes
through a userspace library to get the desired effect. The keyboard
driver may only handle a couple of shift states and one dead
character, but an input library can do whatever it likes. No actual
need to extend all the keyboard drivers - it can all be done by
TranslateMessage(), can't it?

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.