Re: Too narrowly defined: DIVISION SIGN & COLON

From: Richard Wordingham <richard.wordingham_at_ntlworld.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2012 23:11:12 +0100

On Mon, 9 Jul 2012 10:39:52 +0200
Leif Halvard Silli <xn--mlform-iua_at_xn--mlform-iua.no> wrote:

> Jukka K. Korpela, Mon, 09 Jul 2012 10:04:08 +0300:

> > Adding new characters would be possible in principle, but hardly
> > realistic or useful in this case. They would not change the bulk of
> > existing data that uses existing characters, and they would just
> > add to the confusion rather than remove it.

> Could not 'DIVISION SLASH' have been dismissed by the same argument?

U+2212 MINUS SIGN and U+00F7 DIVISION SIGN are both of general category
Sm (mathematical symbol), whereas U+002F SOLIDUS is punctuation (Po)
and U+2215 DIVISION SLASH is Sm (mathematical symbol). There are
subtle behavioural differences between punctuation and symbols when it
comes to line-breaking. By using U+2212 in negative numbers instead of
U+002D HYPHEN MINUS, which is punctuation, I not only get a better
glyph, I also don't get problems with line breaks occurring between the
sign and the leading digit. I find the difference well worth the effort
of typing, in Word, 2 2 1 2 alt/X, rather than just pressing the hyphen
key. U+1xxxx MINUS SIGN WITH DOT ABOVE AND BELOW would not offer any
such advantages.

Richard.