Re: Is that character *+A7AC LATIN CAPITAL LETTER SCRIPT G ?

From: Andreas Stötzner <as_at_signographie.de>
Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2013 16:34:09 +0100

Am 09.01.2013 um 15:56 schrieb Frédéric Grosshans:

> My point is : in this text, this character is a capital letter which look like a g. Since this text do not make the character distinction between SMALL G and SCRIPT G, and treats them as glyph variants of SMALL G, the character shown here might also be an unencoded character, a "capital letter which looks likes a small g", accepting both open- and closed-loop glyph variants. This the character I named LATIN CAPITAL LETTER SMALL G, which is NOT a small capital, but rather the opposite of it.

As far as I know mathematicians do not always constrain themselves to established characters, but tend to invent new ones for their own convenience when it seems to be of any usefulness.
I would not lay the measure of today’s encoding on that finding. It looks like the author put the equations in the script by means of any photocopy technique. So the actual origin of that ›Capital script G‹ may well have been custom handwriting invention.

        Mit freundlichen Grüßen,

        Andreas Stötzner.

Andreas Stötzner
Gestaltung Signographie Fontentwicklung