Re: "Interoperability is getting better" ... What does that mean?

From: Philippe Verdy <verdy_p_at_wanadoo.fr>
Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2013 16:41:05 +0100

2013/1/9 Jukka K. Korpela <jkorpela_at_cs.tut.fi>:
> And, to be fair, Unicode-encoded fonts that contain Sinhala letters tend to
> be considerably larger than 8-bit ad-hoc encoded fonts. Then again, these
> days, size does not matter that much, and a downloadable font gets cached,

Size does matter when you're using mobile Internet access, because
data plans are now frequently limited in volume, and cost a lot when
you're roaming abroad with your smartphone (even within Europe where
those roaming access fees have been slightly limited) and don't have
access to a local suitable free Wifi hotspot!

Anyway, if size matters, no website should ever depend on downloadable
fonts to be displayable.

I cannot use and display the romanized Sinhala site on my smartphone,
I just get garbage. But true Unicoded Sinhala pages work very well,
without additional cost.