Re: help with an unknown character

From: Gerrit Ansmann <gansmann_at_uni-bonn.de>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2013 23:12:35 +0100

On Fri, 11 Jan 2013 21:51:04 +0100, Elbrecht <sirfonts_at_mac.com> wrote:

> that's just my first guess - no blackslash available the printer replaced with what was available in his set…

I would be really surprised, if this was the glyph closest to a backslash available. I am no expert on classical typesetting, but given the size of what’s printed here, I would guess, it should be easy to use some makeshift construction, to arrange an ‹I›, ‹–›, ‹—› or a decorative element diagonally. And even if not: Why was there a letter in the typesetter’s set, that nobody here can identify?

Also, considering once more that this is a cover: Does this have to be a premanufactured movable letter? And does this have to be the result of classical moveable type at all?

On Fri, 11 Jan 2013 21:51:04 +0100, Elbrecht <sirfonts_at_mac.com> wrote:

> But NEGATION would do the job in a Koan manner!

As already said, I suspect that the weird character itself is the koan, and not anything it might stand for.