Re: Adding RAINBOW FLAG to Unicode

From: Doug Ewell <doug_at_ewellic.org>
Date: Thu, 02 Jul 2015 12:09:15 -0700

Ken Whistler <kenwhistler at att dot net> wrote:

> The UTC is neither responsible for nor interested in a "standard way
> to encode flags unambiguously".
>
> [...]
>
> The Unicode Standard is not a vexillology standard -- nor will it ever
> be. It is a standard for the encoding and interchange of characters.

Even though I continue to believe there *should* be a vexillology
standard for encoding flags as unambiguously as practicable, I'm in
strong agreement that this is not a Unicode problem, or a character
problem, or even a CLDR problem.

If there were such a standard today, it might make sense for Unicode
and/or CLDR to adapt it for the emoji purposes we are discussing here.
But there isn't.

--
Doug Ewell | http://ewellic.org | Thornton, CO 🇺🇸