Re: Adding RAINBOW FLAG to Unicode

From: Garth Wallace <gwalla_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Jul 2015 14:59:37 -0700

On Thu, Jul 2, 2015 at 12:09 PM, Doug Ewell <doug_at_ewellic.org> wrote:
> Ken Whistler <kenwhistler at att dot net> wrote:
>
>> The UTC is neither responsible for nor interested in a "standard way
>> to encode flags unambiguously".
>>
>> [...]
>>
>> The Unicode Standard is not a vexillology standard -- nor will it ever
>> be. It is a standard for the encoding and interchange of characters.
>
> Even though I continue to believe there *should* be a vexillology
> standard for encoding flags as unambiguously as practicable, I'm in
> strong agreement that this is not a Unicode problem, or a character
> problem, or even a CLDR problem.
>
> If there were such a standard today, it might make sense for Unicode
> and/or CLDR to adapt it for the emoji purposes we are discussing here.
> But there isn't.

Tangentially, I recently ran across something called International
Flag Identification Symbols. It's a symbolic notation for vexillology
that describes their use of flags and some aspects of their design but
not enough to reproduce them. They're described on the Flags of the
World site <https://flagspot.net/flags/xf-fis.html#fiavcode> and the
usage symbols at least are used inline with text on that site, e.g. in
the article on German flags <https://flagspot.net/flags/de.html> and
as a quotation from a reference in the article on Guinea-Bissau
<https://flagspot.net/flags/gw.html>. The site uses small black &
white GIFs but there are apparently a couple of TrueType fonts that
put those symbols in the PUA.