Stationary vs. waving flags (was: Re: Adding RAINBOW FLAG to Unicode)

From: Doug Ewell <doug_at_ewellic.org>
Date: Mon, 06 Jul 2015 13:11:35 -0700

Asmus Freytag (t) <asmus dash inc at ix dot netcom dot com> wrote:

> Rather than modifiers, I think a more natural thing would be to have
> different base characters that reflect whether it's a flag, a pennant,
> waving, flying from a flag stock or whatever other variety.
>
> Base characters could be limited to an "approved" list, which could be
> extended as needed to cater to actual demand.
>
> In this context, I dislike the current proposal to use a WAVING flag
> as a base character for non-waving plan and rectangular images of
> flags.

Is it your belief that users who wish to display an emoji flag care
whether the flag is shown stationary versus flapping in the wind?

What would be the compatibility solution for the existing set of emoji
flags supported by RIS? Some carriers already show them rectangular,
while others already show them waving:

http://unicode.org/emoji/charts/full-emoji-list.html#1f1e6_1f1eb

--
Doug Ewell | http://ewellic.org | Thornton, CO 🇺🇸