Re: Bit arithmetic on Unicode characters?

From: Mark Davis ☕️ <mark_at_macchiato.com>
Date: Sun, 9 Oct 2016 13:00:30 +0200

Essentially all of the game pieces that are in Unicode were added for
compatibility with existing character sets. ​I'm guessing that ​there are
hundreds to thousands of possible other symbols associated with games in
one way or another, or that could be dug out of instruction manuals (eg,
http://www.catan.com/files/downloads/catan_5th_ed_rules_eng_150303.pdf).
(Many of those would be encumbered by copyright issues, but there are no
doubt others that would not.)

I would recommend that any proposal for additional game symbols provide
clear evidence for why those particular game symbols are required to be
exchanged in plain text, in a way that many, many other possible game
symbols are not.

Mark