Re: Thoughts on working with the Emoji Subcommittee (was Re: Thoughts on Emoji Selection Process)

From: James Kass via Unicode <unicode_at_unicode.org>
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2018 16:53:58 -0800

Mark E. Shoulson wrote,

> ... James Kass says, "Anyone who has ever studied a
> foreign language (or even their own language) would
> easily and quickly recognize the intended meanings
> of the symbols once they understand the derivation."
> ... Well, yeah, once you tell me what something
> means, I know what it means! The point of emoji is
> that they already make some sort of "obvious"
> sense—admittedly, to those who are in the covered
> culture.

To be clear, I do not think William Overington's personal pronoun
symbol designs would make valid emoji candidates. I'm only talking
about the symbols as abstract symbols. Blissymbolics, as pointed out
by Leo Broukhis, might be good candidates for "emojification".

Emoji are pictographic. Abstract symbols are not.