Aw: Re: Dealing with Georgian capitalization in programming languages

From: Marius Spix via Unicode <unicode_at_unicode.org>
Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2018 10:22:25 +0200

The capital ẞ (U+1E9E) has been officially approved by the Council for the German Language since July 2018. However, there is no word starting with ß, that means the character is only relevant for full-capitalized words. It may only stand alone in spaced type, when there is no available italic font-style.

In the Ruby bug tracker that there is also an issue with Dutch ij → IJ. The dedicated ligatures IJ (U+0133) and ij (U+0133) are not recommended and thus never used, but leading ij must always be capitalized to IJ, as in IJSBERG → ijsberg → IJsberg. The actual problem is that the current capitalization algorithm is based on a regular grammar (type 3). It has to be adjusted for a context-sensitive (type 1) grammar.

Regards,

Marius