Unicode Arabic Mark Rendering UTR #53 Now Published

From: <announcements_at_unicode.org>
Date: Tue, 09 Oct 2018 12:32:51 -0700

exampleThe combining classes of Arabic combining characters in Unicode
are different than combining classes in most other scripts. They are a
mixture of special classes for specific marks plus two more generalized
classes for all the other marks. This has resulted in inconsistent
and/or incorrect rendering for sequences with multiple combining marks
since Unicode 2.0.

The Arabic Mark Transient Reordering Algorithm (AMTRA) described in UTR
#53 <http://www.unicode.org/reports/tr53/> is the recommended solution
to achieving correct and consistent rendering of Arabic combining mark
sequences. This algorithm provides results that match user expectations
and assures that canonically equivalent sequences are rendered
identically, independent of the order of the combining marks.

The concepts in this algorithm were first proposed four years ago by
Roozbeh Pournader. We are pleased it has now been published as an
official Technical Report.

      Adopt-a-Character

/Over 130,000 characters are available for adoption
<http://unicode.org/consortium/adopt-a-character.html>, to help the
Unicode Consortium’s work on digitally disadvantaged languages./

[badge] <http://unicode.org/consortium/adopt-a-character.html>

----
All of the Unicode Consortium lists are strictly opt-in lists for members
or interested users of our standards. We make every effort to remove
users who do not wish to receive e-mail from us. To see why you are getting
this mail and how to remove yourself from our lists if you want, please
see http://www.unicode.org/consortium/distlist.html#announcements