IBM Character names and other newbie que

From: Hart, Edwin F. (HartEF1@bisdpo1.bisdnet.jhuapl.edu)
Date: Thu Apr 11 1996 - 14:45:30 EDT

Date: Thu, 11 Apr 1996 12:55:21 -0400
From: Tony Harminc <EL406045@BROWNVM.brown.edu>
Subject: IBM Character names and other newbie questions

1) What is the view of the IBM scheme of naming characters - the one based
on ISO's e.g. LA010000 is 'LATIN SMALL LETTER A' ? Do these have any
relevence in the 10646/Unicode scheme of things ? Does anyone provide
mapping tables for the IBM names to the Uxxxx values ?

2) How can I find out what parts of the standards can be used without
infringing on "intellectual property rights" ? Clearly I can't just
reproduce the standards themselves, but in using the character names
and tables in implementing software what is acceptable and what isn't ?
This may be a ridiculous question - what are standards *for* after all
if not to ensure implementation of the same thing from many vendors - but
it really is not clear.

3) IBM appears to have US and European patents on some searching and
sorting algorithms for Culturally Correct results. Is the world actually
licensing these, or doing it some other way, or what ?

4) I'm sending these questions just to the 10646 list. Should I also
send them to the Unicode list, or is there pretty much the same
readership on both ? Is there yet somewhere else that I might better
direct these sorts of question ?

Thanks & regards,

Tony Harminc
(in Toronto)