Re: IBM Character names and other newbie que

From: Asmus Freytag (asmusf@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Tue Apr 16 1996 - 01:54:30 EDT

>1) What is the view of the IBM scheme of naming characters - the one based
>on ISO's e.g. LA010000 is 'LATIN SMALL LETTER A' ? Do these have any
>relevence in the 10646/Unicode scheme of things ? Does anyone provide
>mapping tables for the IBM names to the Uxxxx values ?

Check out the mapping tables on ftp://unicode.org

>2) How can I find out what parts of the standards can be used without
>infringing on "intellectual property rights" ? Clearly I can't just
>reproduce the standards themselves, but in using the character names
>and tables in implementing software what is acceptable and what isn't ?

You may freely use the information in the Unicode Standard to implement
the standard. You may not duplicate the book itself, as it is a copyrighted
work. And you may most certainly not re-sell copies of the book.

Corporate members have blanket permission to reproduce certain documents
for internal use. This does not apply to material (like the book) that
the Consortium publishes through an established publishing house.

>3) IBM appears to have US and European patents on some searching and
>sorting algorithms for Culturally Correct results. Is the world actually
>licensing these, or doing it some other way, or what ?

I can't comment on other people's patents.