Re: UTF-8 reg tags...

From: Rick McGowan (Rick_McGowan@next.com)
Date: Wed Sep 11 1996 - 13:03:38 EDT

Hello Franc,ois --

Thank you for the detailed analysis & arguments from Harald Alvestrand. As
long as this is true:

> A MIME charset is designed to give just the information needed to interpret
> a sequence of bytes received on the wire into a sequence of characters,
> nothing more

and this is true:

> [...] the relevant committees have pledged not to enact any
> incompatible changes in the future.

then I don't personally object to having only one tag. One tag simplifies
things considerably. And as Harald pointed out, most people don't want to
distinguish the micro-nits in these cases...

        Rick