ISO questions

From: Christopher Helck (chris@tkna.com)
Date: Mon Sep 25 1995 - 11:31:05 EDT

I'm having trouble understanding ISO's policy regarding copyrights, and I'm
hoping that someone will be able to give me some pointers. Here's the story.

I'm designing a new data feed that my company intends to broadcast to its
clients. I would like to use ISO currency and country codes in the feed.
I would also like to doucment the codes in the customer documentation. When
I've asked ISO if it is ok to include their codes in our documentation I've
been shunted to a lawyer who told me that they could not make a decision
until they've seen my documents. The lawyer was unable to give me any
guidence as to what was and was not acceptable to them. I don't want to write
a document, have it approved by my boss (this is a lot of work), and be
rejected by ISO.

Does anyone know what ISO will allow? Will our customers need to buy the
specs from ISO? Are there other international standards for currencies
and countries that do not have such restrictive copyrights and who's staff
can answer questions?

Any help will be appreciated.

I am not on the unicode mailing list, please respond directly. Thanks.