Y diaeresis (Re: HTML - i18n / NCR & charsets)

From: Harald.T.Alvestrand@uninett.no
Date: Sun Dec 01 1996 - 17:41:23 EST

Peter Flynn said:

> > 9F (159) -- Ÿ -- Ydieresis
> >
> >Y diaeresis is a non-existent character, according to the experts on
> >TYPO-L, who have just discussed this in depth.
>
> According to the rules, a character cannot be deleted from UCS. So it has to
> stay with us.
>
>Quite possibly, but we should understand that it should be flagged as
>non-existent (so it can be reused :-) and an example of how easily
>these things can get taken as gospel once they're committed to paper
>and circulated to those who vote on these things in Geneva.

Gospel....?

My notes (http://domen.uninett.no/~hta/ietf/lang-chars.html) seem
to indicate that Johan van Wingen thought Y diaeresis was used in
Welsh, but that this was doubted by Paulo Alexandre Rocha
<parocha@kha.ncc.up.pt>.

Price Collins <collins@alphabet.com> notes that y: is needed in modern
French in the legal name of the town Hayes-sur-Seine. (There's an
umlaut over the Y).

It seems that a lot of the time, one man's gospel is another man's lie.
Just like the rest of human-based knowledge....
(Is there anyone living near Hayes-sur-Seine who can refute this?)

               Harald T. Alvestrand