Re: Re[2]: Should I laugh or cry?

From: Christopher.Vance@adfa.oz.au
Date: Wed Dec 18 1996 - 17:52:17 EST

Michael Kung <MKUNG@us.oracle.com> wrote:

| The ANSI C has not suggested to use wchar_t. For Unicode UCS-2, we should use
| a user-defined type. IBM ULS uses the unichar as the 16-bit unsigned short
| for UCS-2. That should be the approach.

I'll have to take your word on whether ANSI has been adopting changes
made to the real C standard as they're made, but I do believe that
ANSI abandoned its separate C standard in favour of the ISO edition,
when it was adopted. ISO C most definitely does include wchar_t, and
has done for a while, even if some national standards haven't caught
up.

If you're using non-standard or obsolete compilers, I can't help you.
 Standard headers include one for wchar_t (I think it's <wchar.h>,
but my copy is buried somewhere).

Then again, there's no guarantee which wide character set is used for
wchar_t. Perhaps this is a locale issue?

| wchar_t is not intended to be a published data type as char or byte.

Excuse me? Says who? Since when? Citation, please.

-- Christopher