Re: Greek Byzantine Musical Notation

From: Evangelos E. Melagrakis (eem@elot.gr)
Date: Sat Jan 25 1997 - 18:47:35 EST

>----------
>From: Michael Everson <everson@indigo.ie>
>To: unicode@unicode.org
>Cc: Evangelos Melagrakis <eem@elot.gr>
>Subject: Greek Byzantine Musical Notation
>Date: ÓÜââáôï, 25 Éáíïõáñßïõ 1997 1:03 ìì

>Regarding http://www.cm.spyglass.com/unicode/alloc/Pipeline.html , it
>should be clearly noted that the Greek Byzantine Musical Notation symbols
>have NOT been rejected by Greece or WG2, but that additional information
is
>required and BMP allocation seems unlikely. Unless I missed something in
>the WG2 minutes....

>--
>Michael Everson, Everson Gunn Teoranta
>15 Port Chaeimhghein Íochtarach; Baile Átha Cliath 2; Éire (Ireland)
>Gutháin: +353 1 478-2597, +353 1 283-9396
>http://www.indigo.ie/egt
>27 Páirc an Fhéithlinn; Baile an Bhóthair; Co. Átha Cliath; Éire
>----------

Thank you Michael for this warning.

It seems that there is an obvious misunderstanding here, that leads to
false information. Greece never dropped its request to JTC1/SC2/WG2 to
allocate space somewhere, in the BMP or possibly outside the BMP, for the
Greek Byzantine Musical Notation characters. JTC1/SC2/WG2 never rejected
these characters. The issue was not raised and was not discussed during the
Canada and Singapore meetings of JTC1/SC2/WG2 simply because Greece had not
done the homework requested by JTC1/SC2/WG2in time for these meetings,
partly because we got no answer from the Unicode experts we tried to
contact and mainly because of the time limits.

I am glad to inform you that a revised proposal, that has no major
differences to the old one as it regards the number of characters or their
names, but has additional information, fonts etc.etc. will be ready for
distribution before the next meeting of JTC1/SC2/WG2. I have already asked
the convenor of WG2, Mr. M. Ksar, to put the issue on the agenda of the
next meeting which is likely to be hosted either in Cyprus or in Athens. My
request was accepted, so we will discuss (and hopefully finalize) the issue
during the next meeting of WG2.

I certainly would like to see the referenced web page to reflect the actual
situation, but it is up to them to correct it. Unless someone wishes to
reject the issue before it is actually discussed ...

Best regards,

Evangelos Melagrakis
ELOT