Re: Unicode Web pages

From: Christopher R. Maden (crm@ebt.com)
Date: Thu Feb 06 1997 - 09:56:44 EST

[Charles Wicksteed]
> <http://www.microsoft.com/msdownload/ieplatform/iewin95/18.htm>

These work excellently, for the most part, with MSIE 3.0. After
and Traditional Chinese, Japanese, and Romanian. However, the Russian
page didn't work at all, and I'm not sure why. The Central European
service pack includes several Cyrillic fonts, which I believe are
encoded as ISO 8859-5, but MSIE 3.0 doesn't appear to recognize that
encoding declaration. It also can't deal with the all-language pages
in either UTF-8 or NCRs.

Does anyone have an explanation of how MSIE is able to convince the OS
to deal with these encodings, especially the non-8859 ones? WordPad
can differentiate between the differently encoded fonts, but Word
doesn't even get that far. I'd like to be able to take advantage of
this capability, but I can't figure out what it's doing. More
monopolistic practices, I suspect...

-Chris

--
Christopher R. Maden                  One Richmond Square
DynaText SIT Technical Support        Providence, RI 02906 USA