re: MES as an ISO standard

From: David Goldsmith (goldsmith@apple.com)
Date: Sat Jul 05 1997 - 18:13:09 EDT

>I have a different question:
>
> Does a UCS-2 implementation exist that is not Level 1?

Apple's Quickdraw GX is capable of drawing any text in the Unicode
repertoire, including surrogates and combining characters, if you have
the appropriate font. With the current version of GX you do have to
preprocess bidirectional overrides.

Apple's Java VM, Macintosh Runtime for Java, handles large portions of
Unicode (but not all of it), including bidirectional and Indic scripts.

I believe that the Middle Eastern versions of Windows NT can handle the
bidirectional portions of Unicode. NT 5.0 is rumored to have a common
code base worldwide, which would mean the bidirectional support would be
available everywhere. I don't know what Microsoft's current level of
support is for South Asian scripts in Unicode.

Does anyone else have anything to add to this list?

I have to admit support for beyond Level 1 is spotty now, but it's
certainly there, and will be growing over time.

David Goldsmith
Architect
International, Text, and Graphics Group
Apple Computer, Inc.