Re: "acute" in Polish

From: Adam Twardoch (euv-5105@euv-frankfurt-o.de)
Date: Thu Jul 10 1997 - 08:57:58 EDT

> I don't believe, that the polish accent is different from the acute accent.

I'm sorry you don't. But it is.

> The acute of the ec fonts was designed by Boguslaw
> Jackowski from Gdansk.

Boguslaw Jackowski is a mathematician.

> This situation is different from the umlaut/diaeresis problem, where no
> design satisfying french and german users at one time can be found. In
> german, the two dots need to be lower than the dot over the letter `i',
> because of words like europ"aisch or j"unger, where three dots can occur in
> sequence. In french, the diaeresis is as high as the dots on the i.

The acute accent placed over the small "s" (which is usually, or at least
often, more narrow than the vowel characters -- except "i") looks very
distorting. As i mentioned, the Polish kreska is much more upright and
placed more to the right than acute.

French and Germans have probably more influence than the Poles and
they've been discussing about their accents for decades. Besides, France
and Germany have an immense tradition of print, so the historical and
linguistic derivations of the appropriate diacritics are easier to find.

There is not too much reference material about Polish typography, as the
matter of fact there are only few serious designs of complete typefaces
done in Poland (e.g. antykwa torunska, antykwa Poltawskiego), but they give
sufficient information about how the Polish diacritic mark should look
like.

> BTW: I hope, that it will not become part of nationalistic pride to have
> some unique characters for one's own language added to UNicode.

Quick Quiz: Why aren't "es-zet" and "Greek beta" the same character. For
me, as for a Pole, they look the same. ;)

Regards,
Adam

Ps. As the matter fo fact, the situationa about "ogonek" is also quite
complicated and the "Latin-2/CE extensions" made in the Western Europe or
in the USA are just UGLY.

    student.pl +48(95)59 21 51 aus Frankfurt (Oder) (03368) 59 21 51
  office.de +49(0)335 5534 638 European University Viadrina
  office.de +49(0)335 5534 320 Frankfurt (Oder), Germany
      home.pl +48(0)32 1171807 e-mail: adam.twardoch@euv-frankfurt-o.de
   fax.de +49(0)2561 913718129 http://viadrina.euv-frankfurt-o.de/twardoch/