Re: isLetter on Katakana marks

From: Kenneth Whistler (kenw@sybase.com)
Date: Fri Jul 11 1997 - 18:52:33 EDT

> Unicode Discussion wrote this:
> >

> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I was testing the isLetter method in 1.1.3 on some Katakana characters
> > > and found that the following characters were identified as letters:
> >
> > These characters are in fact all correctly identified as "Lm" in
> > the Unicode specification data file (UnicodeData-2.0.14.txt, aka
> > UNIDATA.TXT), so the return value of the Java isLetter method
> > is correct.
>
> While talking about UnicodeData-2.0.14.txt, Is there anybody out there that
> have an updated version of this file, hopefully as complete as possible?

Anonymous ftp to ftp.unicode.org seems temporarily broken, but ftp to
www.unicode.org is working, and the file is available there:

ftp://www.unicode.org/Public/UNIDATA/UnicodeData-2.0.14.txt

The other files there (UnicodeData-Latest.txt, UNIDATA.TXT, UNIDATA2.TXT)
are all exactly the same data, with different names at the moment.

UnicodeData-2.0.14.txt is intended to match the published
Unicode Standard, Version 2.0, and is also the reference
specification used by JDK 1.1.

--Ken Whistler