Re: Fullwidth and Halfwidth

From: Martin J. Dürst (mduerst@ifi.unizh.ch)
Date: Sat Sep 20 1997 - 12:06:37 EDT

On Fri, 19 Sep 1997, Kenneth Whistler wrote:

> int wcwidth(wint_t wc);
>
> "This function determines the number of column positions required for the
> wide-character code wc. ..." -- X/Open Internationalisation Guide
>
> All those who think it is silly to try to define a table across
> all of Unicode to specify the return value for this function,
> please raise your hands. If not, please tell me what the correct
> answers are for Devanagari or Arabic.

Ken - I of course understand and share your concerns. But there
are people who have attempted to do it. One case I know is the
mule (multilingual emacs) project at ETL in Japan. They have done
both Arabic and Devanagari. It doesn't work at all if the fuction
is for single characters, but it produces results for a string
of charcaters. A case again where the function interface can make
a big difference.

Regards, Martin.