Re: Terminals

From: Edward Cherlin (cherlin@cauce.org)
Date: Tue Oct 14 1997 - 14:14:50 EDT

Someone wrote:
>>Hi,
>>
>>Just a query really.
>>
>>We've just finished completing the unicode port of our product to
>>Solaris, and were wondering how best to test the enhanced character
>>functionality.
>>
>>We are running it on Japanese Solaris 2.5.1 on an old Sparc 5 machine -
[snip]
>>I was wondering whether dumb terminals existed which can display foreign
>>character sets (japanese in particular).
[snip]
>>Does anyone have any ideas, or know of companies who can supply or lease
>>such equipment (particularly dumb terminals), any advice anyone could
>>give would be much appreciated.
>>
>>many thanks,
>>Greg Read.

I think your best bet is to check with the makers of VT100 emulation
software for PCs and other computers. I don't know whether any of them
support non-ASCII characters, but I assume that some do. I used to know
people who designed Hebrew and Arabic terminals, and people who did
double-byte Japanese character sets in software, so I could probably find
out more.

--
Edward Cherlin, President      <http://www.cauce.org/>
Help outlaw Spam by supporting Rep. Chris Smith's bill