Most widely used EBCDIC page (was: ECU and euro - both exist)

From: Otto Stolz (Otto.Stolz@uni-konstanz.de)
Date: Thu Oct 23 1997 - 17:39:31 EDT

On Oct 22, 12:12, Kenneth Whistler wrote:
> The most widely used EBCDIC code pages (CP037 and CP500) have already
> had their repertoires carefully matched to ISO 8859-1.

The most widely used EBCDIC code page, IMHO, is CP 1047 (I think, this
is the correct number; I cannot check it as I have scrapped most of my
IBM books, years ago). Every compiler, every software user interface,
every ASCII-EBCDIC code mapping I ever came across has exploited this
code -- though it has been published by IBM only after extenive begging
by the users' organizations. CP 1047 was not in the 1st edition of the
CDRA manuals, it has been added later.

CP 1047 has often been confused with CP 037, but it differs in a few
characters bearing syntactical meaning in both programming languages
and user interfaces, e. g. square brackets.

Best wishes,
   Otto Stolz