Re: Unicode font

From: Mark Leisher (mleisher@crl.nmsu.edu)
Date: Fri Jan 09 1998 - 13:34:52 EST

    Gwidon> Bitstream Cyberbit contains, I believe, a complete JCK set. The
    Gwidon> font has about 13 MB and is available from www.bitstream.com. I,
    Gwidon> however, was unable to produce and view the JCK characters by any
    Gwidon> method short of loading the font into an editor. Does anyone here
    Gwidon> use Bitstream's huge monster, and if so, is there any hope of ever
    Gwidon> utilizing it in full?

I think there are different fonts for different Han glyph styles. This means
that you need more than one of those 13 MB monsters to support CJK nicely.

If you are a programmer on a Unix box with the FreeType library, there is no
problem fully utilizing the Bitstream fonts. You can work with individual
glyphs and do not have to load the whole font.

Rendering is another matter. In most cases, it is expected that the OS will
handle rendering. You need extra fonts to provide context dependent forms for
the Arabic (other than the Standard Arabic contextual forms which are encoded
in Unicode) and Indic scripts and have to make sure the text is ordered
correctly for display.
Mark Leisher <mleisher@crl.nmsu.edu>
Computing Research Lab "... I could lard the text with
New Mexico State University hotlinks and hotbuttons ..."
Box 30001, Dept. 3CRL -- Paraphrased from
Las Cruces, NM 88003 -- "Headcrash," Bruce Bethke