Re: Editor in Win NT

From: John Cowan (cowan@locke.ccil.org)
Date: Wed Jan 14 1998 - 16:16:11 EST

Carl-Martin Bunz wrote:

> There is yet another one, very often posed when Unicode is presented
> before a rather uninformed public: Does there exist a text editor
> which is able to handle Unicode text - so e.g. on Windows NT? Naturally
> this editor should support at least the most primitive input method,
> i.e. the numerical entering of code numbers.
>
> The editor delivered with Windows NT Workstation 4.0 doesn't appear
> to enable input of Unicode char values - or did I overlook anything?

The Notepad plain-text editor for Windows NT can read and write
little-endian UCS-2 files; if a file does not begin with
exactly FF FE, though, it is assumed to be an 8-bit file in the
current codepage (typically 1252). It is typically useful to
switch to a large font such as Lucida Sans Unicode (supplied
with NT 4.0), using the Edit/Set Font menu command.

However, there is no direct way to enter Unicode characters by
code number. You can set up multiple keyboards (e.g. English,
Greek, and Russian) and switch between them using an icon on
the taskbar. This is fast and easy, but does not allow the entry
of random Unicode characters that are not mapped to any standard
keyboard.

You can also use the NT Character Map application, which is
Unicode-aware, to select characters to be entered,
and then copy them into NT Notepad using the clipboard.
This is painful, but works if you want only a few
random Unicode characters here and there.

NT 5.0 supposedly will have a proper Unicode-by-code input method.

The WinCalis editor works under Windows 3.1 and NT, using its own
fonts, and allows the creation of plain text Unicode files either
by private keyboard mappings or by code number.

			e'osai ko sarji la lojban