Re: International gestures - help needed

From: odonnell@zk3.dec.com
Date: Wed Jan 28 1998 - 13:41:19 EST

   Il will simply be taken as meaning the figure "3" for a Chinese. There =
   is no special gesture for OK meaning "alright". . .

   Jian Yang

That reminds me. It could mean "9" in American Sign Language (ASL).
You can indicate all numbers using only one hand in ASL. It
would depend on how curved the thumb and index finger were. Of
course, most deaf Americans would also be aware of its common
usage as a symbol for "okay."

Arnold, aren't you glad you asked? I don't know about the rest
of you, but I think this thread is very interesting. :-)

Sandra Martin O'Donnell
odonnell@zk3.dec.com