Re: What to use as the last two components of XLFD for "UCS-2 encoded" X11 font?

From: Jungshik Shin (jshin@pantheon.yale.edu)
Date: Fri Mar 27 1998 - 14:02:08 EST

On Thu, 26 Mar 1998, Erik van der Poel wrote:

> Jungshik Shin wrote:
>
> > I've got an X font server which presents MS-Windows outline fonts(in a
> > proprieatary format similar but not identical to truetype) as X11 fonts
> > in UCS-2 encoding as well as in KS C 5601 GL encoding and JOHAB(Korean)
> > encoding. I wanna use fonts offered by the font server in Netscape
> > 4.0x(Unix) to display UTF-8/UTF-7 encoded web pages, (it can render
> > UTF-8/UTF-7 encoded html files using "pseudo-Unicode" fonts. These fonts
> > are collection of other fonts - ISO-8859-x (x=1-10), JIS X 0208, Big5,
> > GB 2312, KS C 5601, etc- covering Unicode character repertoire. )
>
> I don't know if it's possible to use Unicode fonts in the Unix version of
> Nav 4.X. I'll try to find out.

  Thank you for your reply.

   It seems like Netsccape 4.x can't make use of *real* Unicode fonts
although it can render UTF-8/UTF-7 encoded pages with pseudo Unicode fonts.

> > but I
> > can't make netscape 4.0x(Unix) list them in dialog box for font
> > selection( Edit|Preference|Appearance|Font ). I guess that's because
> > XLFD of those fonts are different from what Netscape expects of UCS-2
> > encoded font. The last two components of XLFD I tried include ;
> > 'unicode-0', 'unicode.2-0', 'unicode.2.0-0', 'unicode2.0-0'.
>
> Have you played with the documentFonts.charset table in Netscape.ad? That's
> the table that maps XLFD names to IANA charset names. The main IANA charset
> name that we use for Unicode is "ISO-10646-UCS-2". (We support other aliases
> as well.) I haven't tried this myself for Unicode fonts.

  Following your suggestion, I tried various combination
of documentFonts.charset entries and XLFD names for UCS-2 encoded fonts,
but none of them was successful. As you guessed, NS 4.x doesn't
seem to be able to make use of real unicode fonts. Perhaps,
making it do so is one of the first things to do once the source
code is released.

     Jungshik Shin